Mr Papanna undertook his General Surgical training from Manchester and Higher Surgical Training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery from Sheffield Rotation. Following this, he was appointed to the internationally acclaimed Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Programme at the Derby Shoulder and Elbow Unit. During his fellowship he gained wealth of experience in shoulder and elbow surgery and dealing with a high volume of complex cases.
On completion of his fellowship programme he travelled to shoulder and elbow centres of excellence in France as a visiting surgeon and gained insight and experience into state of the art surgical techniques from world renowned surgeons.
Mr Papanna aims to provide his patients with a first class outcome through a caring and personally tailored service, delivered in a timely fashion, using proven techniques and prosthesis.
He has several peer-reviewed publications in high impact scientific orthopaedics and trauma journals. He has presented his research work in numerous international and national meetings such as Congress of the European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow, European federation of national association of orthopaedics and traumatology and the British shoulder and elbow society. He has also been invited to speak at various orthopaedic forums on bone substitutes (BMP'S) used in orthopaedic and trauma surgery.
He continues to be actively involved in departmental research activities. Further, he is a scientific peer reviewer for various Orthopaedic and trauma journals including British Shoulder and Elbow Journal.
Mr Papanna is the sector tutor for Trauma & Orthopaedics at Doncaster and Bassetlaw teaching hospitals. He is the trainer for orthopaedic higher surgical trainees, junior doctors and medical students at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals
He is a faculty member on various regional and national postgraduate FRCS orthopaedic clinical courses. Further, he is also an examiner for the medical students.
Areas of interest
Sports injuries with an expertise in arthroscopic (keyhole) Shoulder and Elbow surgery; Shoulder and Elbow joint replacement surgery.
GPS Navigation Shoulder Joint Replacement Surgery.
- Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression
- Acromio-Clavicular Joint Excision
- Acromio-Clavicular Joint Stabilisation
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Bankart Stabilisation / Arthroscopic capsulo-labral reconstruction
- Latarjet Stabilsiation / Coracoid transfer stabilisation/Long head of Biceps Tenodesis
- Capsular release and manipulation under anaesthetic
- Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior (SLAP) repair
- Primary Shoulder Replacement
- Revision shoulder replacement
- Complex primary and Revision shoulder surgery
- Steroid (Cortisone) injections/PRP (plasma rich protein) injection for tennis & golfers elbow
- Tennis & Golfers Elbow release
- Nerve decompressions
- Radial head replacements
- Elbow instability surgery
- Primary Total Elbow Replacement